Coordinator: Prof. Rita Bento
Main research areas:
(A) Numerical Modeling:
- Thin-walled steel structures, focusing on the Generalized Beam Theory, and cold-formed steel members,
- Nonconventional FE formulations, including meshless and hybrid formulations,
- Fracture mechanics, addressing the Discrete Strong Discontinuity Approach,
- Thermo- and chemo-mechanics problems.
(B) Structural Concrete:
- Advanced cementitious materials,with enhanced strength, durability and sustainability,
- Stress-fields models,
- Structural health monitoring,
- Repairing and strengthening methods (seismic retrofitting, improved robustness),
- Flat slabs,
- Prefabrication and innovation.
(C) Steel and Composite Structures:
- Steel subassemblies with bolted and welded dissipative fuses,
- Steel and composite bridges.
- Soil Dynamics,
- Characterization of electro-chemo-hydro-mechanical propertiesof soils,
- Soil improvement and special foundations (energy geotechnics, biocementation and electroosmosis).